As the hot political topic in the news as I write is how to solve the Irish border issue at B****t (you probably don’t want to hear that word again!), the theme for the quiz this time is Ireland (or more specifically the island of Ireland).
- Q. Which English World Cup winner managed the Republic of Ireland football team from 1986-96?
A. Jack Charlton
- Q. Sir George Ivan Morrison is better known as whom?
A. Van Morrison
- Q. What is the claim to fame of Carrauntoohil?
A. The highest mountain on the island of Ireland
- Q. Which Dublin-born author wrote “Man and Superman”?
A. George Bernard Shaw
- Q. What is the name of the stadium that is the home of the Gaelic Athletic Association and is the third largest stadium in Europe?
A. Croke Park
- Q. In what year did the Republic of Ireland join the EEC (as it was then)?
A. 1973 (as did the UK)
- Q. What is the name of the Belfast shipyard where the Titanic was built?
A. Harland and Wolff
- Q. Which Irish poet won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1995?
A. Seamus Heaney
- Q. What kind of structure is Carrick-a-Rede?
A. A rope bridge to an island of the same name in County Antrim (very hairy!)
- Q. …and finally, which prestigious international competition did the Republic of Ireland win for 3 successive years in 1992-4 and 7 times in all?
A. The Eurovision Song Contest