For this edition, a topic close to my heart (or stomach!) and probably that of many Barkham residents – FOOD!
- Q. “Food, Glorious Food” is a song from which musical?
- Q. What is the primary ingredient of guacamole?
- Q. We are generally accepted to have 5 different types of taste: sweet, sour, salty, bitter and….what is the fifth one?
- Q. Which meat is usually used in Lancashire Hot Pot?
- Q. What is the famous Welsh delicacy laverbread made from?
- Q. What is biltong?
A. South African cured meat
- Q. “If music be the food of love, play on” is a line from which Shakespeare play
A. Twelfth Night
- Q. Jalapeno is a type of what?
A. Chili pepper
- Q. What is Cullen Skink
A. A Scottish soup made from smoked haddock, potatoes and onions
- Q. And finally, (and obscurely!)……...in a classic Red Dwarf episode, The Cat pretended to be “Bhindi Bhagi” in an attempt (unsuccessfully) to fool an aggressive alien. Those curry lovers among you may have eaten Bhindi Bhagi many times, but which vegetable is “Bhindi”?
A. Okra (Lady’s fingers)