The theme this time is “Islands”. Simple!
- Q. Which folk rock group, founded in 1968 but still performing today, took their name from an English island?
- Q. Which is the largest of the Scilly Isles?
- Q. Which classic TV comedy series was set on Craggy Island?
A. Father Ted
- Q. Stewart Island is off the southern tip of which country?
A. New Zealand
- Q. Who duetted with Kenny Rogers in the 1980s worldwide hit “Islands in the Stream”?
A. Dolly Parton
- Q. Douglas Henshall starts as Detective Inspector Jimmy Perez in which TV series based on the books of Ann Cleves?
- Q. Which island in Poole Harbour was the site of one of the first Scout camps in 1907?
A. Brownsea Island
- Q. Who wrote “The Island of Doctor Moreau”?
A. HG Wells
- Q. What is the name of the island in the Thames at Twickenham which is named after a dish which was served by the island’s inn in the 19th century?
A. Eel Pie Island
- Q .And finally……..which life-saving organisation was(is?) based at Tracy Island?
A. International Rescue (in Thunderbirds)
Plus the answer to “where is this signpost?” in Alan’s Patch (page 14 of the summer 2018 newsletter)
The location of the second photograph is just behind the church on the footpath to Edney's Hill, SU 784664, and was taken on 18th March during the final snowfall of the winter.