The theme this time is a simple one – “Capital Cities” of independent nations. Each question or answer will feature the name of a capital city, although links may be more or less obtuse!
- Q.What is the southernmost capital city in the world?
- Q. ….…and the northernmost?
- Q. What is this a definition of: “A psychological response wherein a captive begins to identify closely with his or her captors, as well as with their agenda and demands”?
A. Stockholm syndrome
- Q. Where would you be if you crossed the Chain Bridge over the Danube?
- Q. Which legendary figure eloped with Helen, queen of Sparta, which was one of the immediate causes of the Trojan War?
- Q. In which city is the football club Benfica based?
- Q. In Mussorgsky’s “Pictures at an Exhibition”, in which city is the Great Gate?
- Q. Who won the men’s 1500 metres at the 1980 Moscow Olympics?
A. Sebastian Coe
- Q. Yerevan is the capital of which former Soviet state?
- Q. And finally, one for the film buffs! At the end of the Scottish film “Gregory’s Girl”, 2 of Gregory’s friends set off to (unsuccessfully) hitchhike to a city where they have heard that the women greatly outnumber the men. Where? Clue – it’s a long way from Scotland!